Why "A View from the Middle"? Because my home sits on the middle of a hill overlooking a horse ranch. Because I've always considered myself "mid-height" for a woman at 5'2". And because I'm middle-aged looking back on half my life and forward to the rest of it.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Favorite Wine

January 19, 2010

Because of my profession--a transportation/tour company owner in wine country--I often get asked, "What's your favorite wine?"  What's my favorite wine?  That's like asking, "Who's your favorite kid?"

As part of my job I have to check out new tasting rooms and taste the wine.  I have to know what the wineries are serving so I know how to fit them in to my customers' requests. It's a difficult job, but I'm willing to sacrifice myself to do this for the betterment of my company and for my customers.  Are you buying any of this?  Neither am I.  But it's a good excuse.  And it really does help me to make recommendations when needed.

So what kind of wine do I like?  Just about everything.  It just depends.  It depends on my mood.  It depends on the weather.  It depends on what I'm eating--or not eating.  And it depends on what's being poured at the moment.

I go through phases.  Sometimes I like big, bold reds--Petite Sirah (yes, it's spelled Sirah when it's Petite, not Syrah like when it's not), Cabernet Franc, and Zinfandel.  Sometimes I like Sauvignon Blanc or Viognier or a dry Riesling.  And often times I like everything in between. 

I don't often like Rose or Pinot Noir, but I found a few of those I like as well.

I very often don't like White Zinfandel or other blush wines, but in a pinch...

And I like dessert wines like Late Harvest Zinfandel or Port--with chocolate, of course.

When it comes to pairing wine with food, I know just what to do.  Pour myself a glass of wine, then ask myself, "Now, what food would go good with this wine?"

So what's my favorite wine?  What day is it?

1 comment:

  1. Great post...What wine would you have today and what would you pair it with?

    ReplyDelete